Sunday, January 8, 2012

NOT YOUR AVERAGE CHICKEN SOUP

 I love soups. As a woman with a hectic schedule, I'm always looking for ways to conserve time when preparing meals. Soup is such a perfect dish for me because it's a balanced meal, supplying me with carbohydrates, protein, vegetables and water. It's wonderful on a cold day and you can store it in the refrigerator and simply heat when ready to eat.
This soup is a deviation from the normal chicken soup that you're accustomed to. Whenever I have a rotisserie chicken, I use the back, wings and legs of the chicken to make this soup. It's light, yet filling and oh sooo yummy.







  RECIPE AFTER THE JUMP                                 
   


INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb cooked chopped chicken ( I used a rotisserie chicken )
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup diced sweet potatoes ( I use Guyana sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup corn kernels 
1/4 cup celery
4 cups sodium free organic chicken broth
4 whole cloves garlic
4 tsp spoon onion soup mix
4 tsp beef or chicken soup mix
Scallions
Pepper to taste

Note: All organic ingredients.



DIRECTIONS

 Gather all your ingredients together.

Add diced sweet potatoes + carrots to  2 cups of water.

Cook for 15 minutes

Add the rest of the ingredient to the pot and bring to a boil

Let cook for 30 minutes. Using spoon, crush pieces of sweet potato and garlic. The sweet potato thickens the soup while adding a delicate sweetness. Crushing the garlic releases flavor.

Turn heat down and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until soup thickens to your liking.

Serve hot with bread. A slice of Gluten free bread accompanied mine.

This soup will probably be my lunch for a few days this week. It is low in fat and calories and will help me to keep within my daily calorie count. I used all organic ingredients.





1 comment: