Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gluten Free Cupcakes

I haven't baked in over 8 months due to the fact that I have been watching my diet and I'm off so many foods. Today I decided to give myself a treat ( and a little sugar rush) by baking some cupcakes. I decide to try out the gluten free cake mix I had sitting in the pantry. 


I chose Gluten Free Dreams yellow cake mix by Cherrybrook Kitchen. It can be purchased at Whole Foods.

I followed the directions on the box except for one substitution. Instead of margarine I used vegetable oil in an attempt to keep it dairy free. I didn't want to alter it too much until I know just how the batter performs.




My verdict 

I like it. It's very delicious. For a cake that does not contain eggs or butter, I was surprised at how flavorful it was. The texture resembled more like muffins but that can be because I didn't use margarine like the directions stated.
I wanted to add vanilla extract to the batter but discovered that I'd run out of it. I was delighted that the batter didn't even need the extra flavor.




  I also made a dairy free frosting but won't post the recipe as I found it to be just a bit too soft and it ran a bit before it set. I will keep experimenting with the frosting until I come up with the perfect balance. I, however, prefer the cake without the frosting and the added sugar and calories.

The next time I try this cake, I'll be adding lots of stuff to it. It's a good base. I can see it with brown sugar, nuts or even chocolate chips. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment