Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gluten Free Beef + Apple Burgers





This weekend I had a serious craving for a homemade (my favorite kind) beef hamburger. So of course I decided to put my stomach out of it's misery and make some. I headed to the local organic market for some ground beef and fired up the grill - the stove top grill that is.-
Anyway, the result was this delicious Gluten-Free Hamburger that put my cravings to rest. 



APPLE BEEF PATTIES

YOU WILL NEED:

1 lb Organic ground grass fed beef
1/3 cup finely chopped apples ( I prefer to use golden delicious because of the softer texture)
1 small sweet onion (chopped)
3 tbsp scallions (chopped)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
dried seasoning rub ( I'll post the recipe for my mix another time)
2-3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS: 

Mix together all of the above ingredients in a bowl.

On a sheet of wax paper, divide meat into 6 patties. In palms of hands form the patty.

Heat an oiled grill pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then grill burgers, turning over once, until cooked 3-4 minutes on each side

While patties are cooking, make the sauce and toast the bun.

Note: Sometimes when making burgers, to cut down on the amount of meat I'm consuming, I add either bread crumbs, potatoes or eddoes to the meat. 


This part is completely optional as it adds more calories to your meal and also contains dairy. 

GARLIC AIOLI SAUCE

 YOU WILL NEED:


2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice. (You can opt to leave this out if you are acid sensitive. My substitute is 1 tbsp of mustard.)
Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Crush garlic however you chose. You can use the back of a knife or a garlic press. 
Tip: Keep a small jar of pre-crushed garlic in a bit of oil in the refrigerator for quick and easy access.   

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic and salt. 

Whisk together rapidly, cover and set aside in the refrigerator. 


Served on Gluten free burger rolls. I purchase mine from Trader Joe's. The brand is Udi's and it's dairy-free as well.



Cut bun horizontally. Spread bottom half with Aioli sauce. Place patty on top. Top with a simple toppings such as fresh cucumber slices, fresh red onion rings, lettuce, ketchup, a slice of cheese or more Aioli sauce. The choice is yours. 


To keep this Dairy free, eliminate the Aioli sauce and cheese. Once your meat is seasoned well, you will not need all those extras to have a delicious burger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment